Friday, June 24, 2011

Final thoughts

I've been using the Chromebook on and off. Mostly, it's off because it duplicates so many functionalities of my tablet (Xoom), and the tablet is a bit more mobile.

The trouble is that while using the Chromebook I often feel like I have one arm tied behind my back. No Excel, no print-screen-copy-paste, no powerpoint, no putty, no ssh program (have to do it manually), no installed programs (e.g., R), none of the files and folders I have already set up on my regular laptop.

Google also seems inconsistent: Is the Chromebook meant to be a primary device or a secondary device to a home computer? It seems like something in between.

Oh, and I spent half the monthly allowance of 100MB data on 3G in one afternoon. I'm not very happy about that, especially since everything needs the web.

While I like the keypad, I do not like the mousepad -- how it functions (I still can't remember how I right click) and how it feels (it feels weird against my fingerpads).

Many apps do not work correctly. Some apps exist for Android but not for Chrome. Another user appropriately called it the CrApp store.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with most of the critics that the Chromebook is a good beginning but is pretty much an incomplete product. Sadly, I feel a sense of relief and comfort when I go back to my Windows laptop. I doubt that people who switch to Apple feel this way. Google needs to take this into major consideration.

Most critical app: better Google docs with higher functionality and better usability
Most critical internal hardware: Better video card. I streamed hulu and it was choppy when full screen.
Most critical external hardware: Nothing actually. Everything is pretty good. I hate the mousepad, but it's personal probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment